Welcome to the Resume and Interview Resource
Present a professional image during your internships and as you begin your career! Work with SIRC to learn about business correspondence and practices; resume content and design; writing cover letters and thank you notes; comparing, accepting, and rejecting job and internship offers; dining in a business setting; professional dress; and interviewing skills.
- Make sure your resume is updated or created! Get help with your resume.
- Sign-up for interviews through MySpartanCareer. Log in.
- Interviews are held at the LEAR Corporation Career Services Center, 21 Eppley Center.
- Greet recruiters with a handshake and a smile.
- Professional dress is expected at interviews.
- Open Houses are designed to give you information about the company, its internship and management program, and to facilitate initial contact between you and the recruiter.
- At the Open House you will confirm your interview.
- You will learn company requirements, culture, philosophy, and benefits prior to your interview.
- Open Houses are usually held in a classroom at the Broad Business College. SIRC staff will host the sessions. Usually refreshments are served.
- Business casual dress is acceptable.
- Bring resumes and be prepared to sell yourself!
- Get a schedule of company Open Houses through SIRC.
- Do your homework – research all aspects of a company before you attend the Open House or interviews.
- If you are interviewing with a company, attendance at its Open House is mandatory. Companies expect students to attend and it will reflect badly on you during your interview if you were not present at the Open House.
Company Research Resources
- SIRC provides direct links to company websites to assist you with your industry research.
- Company Synopsis Sheets are available in SIRC.
- SIRC has industry files with information on many companies.
- Greet recruiters with a handshake and smile. Be prepared to sell yourself.
- Always bring extra resumes to an interview. Also bring a list of references in case it is requested.
- Professional dress is expected at interviews if you want a job!
- Many interviews are behavioral based. That means the employer will ask for specific examples of how you performed in a given situation. So be prepared!
- Sample interview questions!
Making a Lasting Impression
- Following the interview, you are expected to send a thank you letter.
- Request the recruiter’s card so you have the correct title and address.
- Sample thank you letter.