SIRC can connect you!
SIRC is the career services office for The School of Hospitality Business. We are your “concierge,” and our most important job is assisting you, our students. SIRC will send you regular “email” updates on company visits and job opportunities, speak in classes, and chat with you one-on-one. Remember, an effective concierge has good connections and uses them for your benefit. So come to our office and introduce yourself to the SIRC staff and talk to us about how we can help you! We are located in The School of Hospitality Business, 228 Eppley Center, or you can phone us at 517-353-9747. You may also email us. No appointment is necessary, and SIRC is open 9:00am-5:00pm Monday through Friday, lunchtime included!
There are many ways SIRC can help you!
Hospitality Career Exploration: The hospitality industry encompasses many segments. You will work with SIRC staff to explore career options through internships, elective classes, visiting with industry professionals, or through discussions with students who have worked in the field. All of this provides valuable insight as you determine your career goals.
Click on the following links to see interviews with our alumni in various hospitality job fields!
Hospitality Real Estate
Hotel Revenue Management
Food and Beverage
Leisure Services – National Parks
- Jobs and Internships: Jobs and Internships: SIRC works with hospitality industry companies and recruiters daily to identify internships and permanent job opportunities for students. Through and online job board called the Job Alert Bulletin you will have instant access to job openings in the industry. SIRC also coordinates on-campus open houses and recruiting for companies interested in hiring our students. Interviews are conducted in the Lear Corporation Career Services Center, a multimillion dollar facility which serves students interested in business careers. You will also complete your two required internships under SIRC’s guidance and supervision. For jobs and internships, start at SIRC!
- Professional Development: SIRC will work with you to learn about business correspondence, practices, and how to present a professional image. Some of the topics we cover include: resume content and design; cover letters; thank you letters; rejecting, accepting, and comparing offers; professional dress; dining in a business setting; and interviewing skills. Through SIRC, you can travel to New York City and Chicago to help with annual hospitality industry trade shows and participate in professional development tours and workshops.
- Spartan Sponsors Mentor Program: The School’s enormous and active alumni base allows us to pair you with industry leaders who work in the industry segment you’re interested in. If you apply to become involved in the Spartan Sponsors Mentor program, you will be mentored via e-mail, phone, or in person. “Spartan Sponsors” begins each year during a kick off event during Homecoming weekend.
- Web Resume Book: You can post your resume on SIRC’s secure site where employers can view it and contact you for possible jobs and internships.
- CAREER EXPO: Our longstanding annual fall hospitality career fair is led by a team of students and SIRC, with nearly 80 hospitality companies coming to the MSU campus to recruit students from The School for fabulous careers and internships! CAREER EXPO also offers a full day of professional development workshops on a variety of topics. Formal interviews are held the day following EXPO.
- Leadership: Employers look for students who have a wealth of experience and leadership skills, so involvement in The School’s events and Hospitality Association clubs is expected and encouraged. We hope that you will get involved as much as your academic schedule will allow!
Prospective students who want to visit The School of Hospitality Business should contact SIRC as well for an individualized meeting with the SIRC staff. We look forward to seeing you soon!
SIRC – The concierge connecting students, industry, faculty, and alumni!
Additional MSU Student Resources
Senior Destination Survey