THE LEADER IN HOSPITALITY BUSINESS GRADUATE EDUCATION
The School of Hospitality Business at Michigan State University, established in 1927, is the oldest hospitality business school in the nation, and is the leader in hospitality business graduate education. The School offers graduate programs designed to deepen your knowledge and expertise, develop your professional skills, and successfully compete for a rewarding career in the hospitality industry. Dynamic, versatile, global; today’s hospitality industry is expanding as part of the growing service economy. Are you interested in an exciting career in hospitality? Are you interested in advancing your career in hospitality? Are you interested in changing your career path? A Master’s program in Hospitality Business could be right for you!
The School of Hospitality Business offers four graduate program options. Each program offers a flexible curriculum that allows for the design of a program which meets the specific professional needs of students with diverse backgrounds and career objectives. With guidance from the graduate student advisor, students design a curriculum of 36 credit hours that best meets their academic and professional interests. Curriculum plans include required core functional courses, selected specialized electives, and a field study experience. The field study experience requires students work with a selected faculty member to research and analyze a current hospitality issue related to the student’s area of interest. Students present their research at the annual Graduate Student Forum held each spring semester.
- The Michael L. Minor Master of Science in Foodservice Business Management provides knowledge and skills necessary for a successful career in foodservice industry operations or corporate management, or a career in hospitality business education.
- The Master of Science in Hospitality Business Management provides theoretical knowledge, analytical skills, and hospitality business coursework necessary to meet industry demand for individuals well-prepared for corporate-level positions in hospitality business, hospitality-based consulting firms, or other service organizations.
- The Graduate Specialization in Hospitality Business is designed for students pursuing either a Master’s degree or Ph.D. in disciplinary areas outside of the Broad College of Business. The Specialization provides theoretical knowledge, research skills, and hospitality business coursework that is complimentary to students’ major academic field and career interests.
- Area of Interest in Hospitality Business in the Master of Business Administration (MBA) Degree Program prepares students pursuing an MBA in the Broad College of Business to enter the hospitality industry in management positions, corporate staff positions, consulting positions, or as a teacher in hospitality management programs at the secondary or community college level. Students should consult with their MBA advisor for additional information.
For more information on any of our graduate study options, please contact The School’s graduate programs coordinator.
- Apply On-Line
- Application Deadlines: Fall Semester: December 31; Spring Semester – March 31. Late applications may be accepted as space in our programs allows.
- Required Supporting Documentation
- Additional Information for International Applicants
THE SCHOOL OF HOSPITALITY BUSINESS RESOURCES
The School of Hospitality Business’ faculty are among the most respected in the world — as teachers, researchers, consultants, and industry board and commission members. Individually, each faculty member is highly regarded in his or her chosen field. Collectively, they set the standard for all other hospitality faculty worldwide. They create the knowledge that others use; they teach using innovative techniques and rigorous expectations; and they serve the academy and the industry in executive education, panels, associations, and boards. You will also have access to The School’s very active alumni – leaders in every segment of the industry, including hotel and restaurant development, foodservice, private clubs, operations, travel, and much more.
- Academic Calendar
- Academic Honesty and Integrity
- Council of Graduate Students
- English Language Center
- Graduate Employees Union @ MSU
- Graduate Student Housing
- Graduate Students’ Rights and Responsibilities (GSRR)
- Office of Admissions
- Office of Financial Aid
- Office for International Students and Scholars (OISS)
- Office of the Registrar
- The Broad College of Business
- The Graduate School at MSU
- The Graduate School at MSU Funding Resources
- Tuition, Fees, and Housing Calculator